139 total views, 4 views today
Mike Dubke, US President Donald Trump’s communications director, has resigned amid allegations of leaks to the media from the White House and links to Russia.
Dubke’s resignation was confirmed on Tuesday.
He had offered his resignation earlier this month, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway told the media, but he had offered to stay on during the president’s first foreign trip and Dubke’s last day has not yet been determined.
He will stay on “until a transition is concluded,” said Reince Priebus, the White House’s chief of staff.
Dubke, 47, who headed the office that runs press and other public relations issues, had the post for only three months and gave no reason for leaving, just saying in a statement that, “It has been my great honor to serve President Trump and this administration.”
His job is closely connected to White House spokesman Sean Spicer, a more high-profile figure, who handles daily media briefings.
Dubke’s resignation comes amid investigations into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election, and communication and links between Moscow and Trump’s campaign and transition team, as well as his son-in-law and close adviser, Jared Kushner.
‘Russians must be laughing’
Trump tweeted on Tuesday that “Russian officials must be laughing at the US & how a lame excuse for why the Dems lost the election has taken over the Fake News.”
Trump has also repeatedly made complaints about leaks from the White House reaching the mainstream media.
“It is my opinion that many of the leaks coming out of the White House are fabricated lies made up by the #FakeNews media,” Trump wrote on Twitter on Sunday.
The controversy surrounding the Russia links gained added momentum after President Trump sacked FBI Director James Comey earlier this month, leading to allegations by critics that the president sought to hamper the agency’s probe into the issue.
Moscow has denied US intelligence agencies’ conclusion that it meddled in the campaign to try to tilt the election in Trump’s favor. The president has denied any collusion, repeatedly denouncing the probes as an effort by Democrats to explain Hillary Clinton’s upset defeat in the election.