Ghana won’t be plunged into perpetual darkness again – Amewu

261 total views, 1 views today

The Minister for Energy, John Peter Amewu, has said that the Akufo-Addo led New Patriotic Party (NPP) administration is not keen on sending Ghanaians back to the era of ‘dumsor’, rather will ensure that Ghanaians enjoy uninterrupted electricity supply.

Appraising Members of Parliament on the recent power supply irregularities in some parts of the country, the minister debunked claims that the crises are as a result of financial challenges being faced by the government to clear up debts. He said the recent anomalies in power supply is as a result of transmission challenges at the newly commissioned Accra Central Substation. These challenges according to the minister occurred when an on-going five-day outage which had been taken on the 330Kv transmission line between Tema and Aboadze for the relocation of two towers on the line at the request of the Ghana Highway Authority (GHA) to enable the construction of a new interchange at Pokuase.

“The fundamental cause of the blackout is the ongoing construction of the road interchange at Pokuase which has necessitated the diversion of GRIDCo’s 330KV transmission line towers that runs from Tema to Aboadze in that vicinity. This requires taking an outage of the entire line to undertake the diversion,” Amewu stated.

“The recent power disturbances were also as a result of a tripling of existing transmission lines. As a result of the outrage on the 330kV line, no power has been transmitted on the Aboadze to Accra that is to say from the West to East, rather power was transmitted from Akosombo through Mallam, Winneba and Cape Coast to the Western part of the country through the 161kV transmission line which has become overloaded, thereby causing it to trip as a protective measure to avoid major damage to equipment”.

The sector minister added that efforts are being made as the ministry is in constant touch with GRIDCo and contractors to expedite work and complete the relocation of the towers according to schedule to enable the restoration of the 330kV line which is scheduled for completion by Tuesday, March 19,2019.

However, the Honorable Member of Parliament for the Kumbugu constituency, Ras Mubarak, in responds to the minister said the ministry together with the government is throwing dust into the eyes of Ghanaians. He advised the ministry and GRIDCo to humbly come out with a load shedding timetable for Ghanaians to know schedules and apply accordingly.

Source: Theresa Adezewa Ayittey

Ghana News Online

The primary function of GhanaNewsOnline.com.gh is to gather, process and distribute news about Ghana and Africa to the World. To serve as a News Agency with the mandate to present complete, in-depth objective and impartial information, news, and features rooted in investigative journalism.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1
Hey there!!! click "Send" to begin to chat us

-Team Ghananewsonline.com.gh
Powered by