2 total views, 2 views today
The Ghana Armed Forces has clarified that no Ghanaian soldier was affected in this week’s bomb attacks on peacekeepers in a UN compound in Timbuktu, Mali.
Social media platforms were splashed with chilling pictures of injured soldiers in critical condition being attended to by paramedics after the attacks on Wednesday.
Many presumed that Ghanaian troops maintaining peace in Mali could be part of the victims since the incident took place at camp that houses over 100 Ghanaian soldiers.
But Director of Public Affairs of the Ghana Armed Forces, Col. Eric Aggrey-Quashie said “no Ghanaian was affected in that attack” He confirmed to Esi Benewa on TV3’s Midday Live Saturday that “our troops are safe”.
He admitted that the attack was “expected”, explaining that “some rounds just dropped into the camp, and as at now we don’t know which group of people attacked the camp”.
Col. Aggrey-Quashie said the Ghana Armed Forces will continue to put in measures that will ensure the safety of Ghanaian soldiers on peacekeeping.
He admitted that the situation in Mali is bad and urged Ghanaian troops to look out for such attacks., but insisted “so far everything is fine with our personnel”.