KUMACA crisis: MoH intensifies surveillance at Asokore-Mampong Municipality

The Minister of Health, Kwaku Agyemang Manu, has told Parliament that the government has made available about One Hundred Thousand GHc100, 000.00 to deal with the situation at the Kumasi Academy, in The Ashanti Region.

His disclosure followed media reports indicating that about ten students have been confirmed dead since March, 2017, and over twenty students are currently receiving treatment at KNUST and KATH Hospitals over a strange disease suspected to be meningitis.

Meanwhile, in a statement on the floor of Parliament in responds to the current state of affairs at the School, The Minister acknowledged that, four students have been killed by this disease as of November, 2017 out 46 cases recorded.

According to him, “since November 29, 2017, a number of cases were presented mostly as high-grade fever with headache with or without neck pains, consequently, a total of 46 people have been referred by the school to the various health facilities, mostly Kwame Nkrumah University of Science Technology (KNUST) Hospital which has been designated as a referral hospital for the school clinic.

Three of the cases died at the KNUST Hospital and one (1) at Komfo Anokye teaching Hospital after being referred to the Tano Hospital. Twenty three are still on admission and cases are being managed at KATH and KNUST Hospital, Kumasi South and Manhyia Hospitals. Nineteen have been treated and discharged.”

Given the background to the incident, the Sector Minister said, “the Ghana Health Service Headquarters through The Public Health Directorate was notified by The Ashanti Regional Health Directorate on the first of December, 2017 about the death of two students from Kumasi Academy in Asokore-Mampong municipality.

The Regional Heath Directorate had been notified earlier by the Municipal Health directorate who also received the information from the school authorities. Earlier reported of similar incidence which was confirmed as meningitis outbreak occurred in April, 2017”.

In his recommendations and way forward, Mr. Manu directed that, post mortem of all bodies to be conducted by a team of pathologists, sustain surveillance for early detection of additional cases as well as   daily update of stakeholders.

The actions so far taken by the Minister are: “intensification of surveillance throughout the Municipality, record review of OPD register at the School Sick Bay, Line-list developed for suspected cases and follow-up visit on cases at KNUST Hospital and KATH.”

Source: Francis Edzorna Mensah

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*