140 total views, 1 views today
Two people have been killed and six others have been injured in an attack on a village in Nigeria’s volatile northeast.
A police spokesman said on Tuesday that three female attackers had targeted villagers late on Monday in Mandarari Ward, located some 36 kilometers (22 miles) from Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.
Borno is the heartland of an eight-year-long insurgency by Boko Haram, a Takfiri terrorist group responsible for the death of more than 20,000 civilians and security forces in Nigeria and neighboring countries. More than two million people have also been displaced in Nigeria as a result of the ruthless campaign of killing, abduction and extortion by Boko Haram.
A massive operation by the Nigerian military, which intensified two years ago, has forced militants out of the areas they used to control in the country’s north. However, Boko Haram still continues to use locals gripped by poverty to launch attacks.
The Nigerian army says an increase in Boko Haram’s attacks came following the rainy season last year, adding that weather conditions have facilitated the activity and movement of militants in the woods and bushes. The army says the ease of activity would end in a few weeks’ time as the rainy season starts again.
Boko Haram is an ally of Daesh, a Takfiri terror group based mainly in Iraq and Syria. The group claims, as its name goes, that it wants to put an end to the Western-style education in Nigeria. The group has yet to claim the attack in Borno on Monday.