1,112 total views, 2 views today
The former President’s vision is – the vision of a new Ghana clad in full grandeur conceived by our founding fathers; a new Ghana standing out as a landmark in man’s efforts to achieve complete social, economic and cultural emancipation; a nation towering above the divisions and conflicts and welded together in a common devotion to the pursuit of happiness and concord for all times. He always always asked this simple but important question ; in the face of the sharp divisions between the affluence of a small business class and the roaring majority of our people, in the face of the division between the glittering city life and the drudgery, poverty and darkness our villages and countryside, the face of the yawing gap between the toiling farmer and city official, how could we possibly think of a nation that is welded together? His vision is to see no villager and no city dweller, a nation that knows only Ghanaians. This and other reasons informed his decision to extend infrastructure development to every corner.
President Mahama remained committed to providing potable water for the millions of Ghanaians who have lived without this vital commodity for decades. To achieve this objective, over $1 billion worth of investment was made and major results were achieved through the completion of projects which took both urban and rural water coverage to almost 80% . As at the end of 2014, a total of 77.5 million gallons of water per day was added to the national water supply system. This was increased to 109.7 million gallons of water per day by the close of 2016. This alone translates into water for 7 million Ghanaians.
These are some of the major water projects completed under former President Mahama and his NDC administration
1. Kpong Water Supply Expansion Project Phase 1. The first phase was completed under Mahama and supplying 40 million gallons of water per day to 700,000 inhabitants in communities including Adenta, Madina, Kwabenya, Ashongman, North, East and West legon etc.
2. Kpong Intake Rehabilitation Project- This was carried out to improve efficiency by replacing all existing pumps. As part of the project, a water treatment plant was built to increase supply to communities such as Dodowa,Ningo Prampram, all in the greater Accra region and the Akuapem Ridge in the Eastern Region. This plant can supply 3.3 million gallons of water per day.
3. Accra- Tema Metropolitan Area Water Supply Project- This project was completed under former President Mahama and delivering 9.2 million gallons of water per day. This project supply water to over 250,000 inhabitants in Accra and part of Akuapem.
4. Teshie-Nungua Desalination Water Project- This project is the first project of its kind in West Africa. It supplies 13.2 million gallons of water per day. These four projects have added 65.7 million gallons of water per day to the greater Accra Metropolitan area.
The Mahama (NDC) administration also added a total of 14 million gallons of water per day to the national water stock through the following projects
1. Nsawan water project- 1.7 million gallons per day
2.Essakyir Water Supply Project phase (1)- 3.2 millions of water per day.
3. Five Towns Water Supply Project ( Kyebi, Osenase, Anyinam, Apedwa, and Kwabeng) – 1.5 millions of water per day.
4. Kumasi Water Supply Project ( Barekese Expansion) – 6 million gallons per day.
5. Asante Kampong Water Supply Project- 1.6 millions of gallons per day.
6. Kwahu Ridge Water Supply Project- 3.5 million gallons of water per day.
7. Kumawu Water Supply Project -3.6 million gallons of water per day.
8. Konongo Water Supply Project – 3.5 million gallons of water per day.
9. Akim-Oda – Akwatia- Winneba Water Supply Project – 10.4 million gallons of water per day.
10. Wa Water Supply Project – 3.5 million gallons of water per day.
11. North Tongo and Adaklu Anyigbe Water Supply Scheme- 1.1 million gallons of water per day.
12. Interconnection of Sekyere- Hemang Water Treatment Plant to the Birimsu Water Treatment Plant.
13. Interconnection of Sekyere- Hemang Water Treatment Plant in Sekondi-Takoradi Water Supply system and the Aboadze Thermal Plant
14. $ 170 million Urban Water project to rehabilitate 20 water supply system in 8 regions.
Apart from these major projects, the NDC- Mahama administration also started a government of Ghana 5- year 20,000 boreholes programme
Akrokeri piped Water Supply Project.
In view of the ever increasing population in GAMA, additional projects were planned to ensure the reliability and sustainability of water supply from 2015- 2020. These include- Kpone Water Supply Expansion Phase 2, Weija Water Supply Expansion and Asutuare Water Supply Project.